Zoo Day

Although I’ll have Fridays off for the foreseeable future (thanks to my new work schedule), my body was still awake at 5:00 am.  I slept in a little bit, but was still up around 7:00 am.  I eased into my morning and then took the opportunity to get over to the Sacramento Zoo.  (The “Banana Festival” is going to be in the adjoining William Land Park on Saturday and Sunday, so I figured I should get over to the zoo today so I miss the snarl of traffic and lack of parking spaces the festival is going to cause.)

I got to the zoo just as they opened at 9:00 am, and for the first couple hours I had it almost all to myself (there was just one other family there).  At the chimpanzee house, they’d turned on the overhead sprinklers to make it “rain” inside, and the chimps were NOT happy about that.  Hah!  Both of the orangutans were out – they like the hot muggy weather… I got to the giraffe enclosure just as they were coming out of their multi-story-tall house and heading for breakfast. The boy Masai Giraffe played football with an empty drum, and tried roll it with his head.  He’s so cute… There were two new small birds on display: some Southern White-Faced Owls and the Spur-Winged Lapwing… All of the lions weren’t out yet.  The daddy came out first, and then the mom poked her head out – and then closed the door on their enclosure keeping her and the cubs inside where the air conditioner was running.  Hah!  The male lion is soooo handsome and photogenic, though, that everyone loves to see him.  He poses beautifully, too… I got some photos of the White-Faced Saki eating an apple.  Wow, the teeth on that little guy!  …The Jaguar wasn’t out, but on top of his enclosure was a pair of big fat pigeons.  One kept grooming the other one – and I wondered if they were a mated pair…  Zookeepers have “salted” the Flamingo pen with fake eggs to try to entice the females to start laying.  One of the fake eggs was interesting enough to one of the females that she pushed it around a little bit and then say on it…

A little before 11 o’clock, I stopped to have an early lunch: French Dip sandwich, fries, and a beer… And right around that time was when all the stay-at-home moms arrived at the zoo with their hideous screaming kids.  I avoided them as much as possible, but when I went into the reptile house, they all packed in behind me.  I had to tell some of them to back off because I was trying to get pictures and they kept banging into me – while their stupid mothers just stood by against the wall on their cell phones.  Ugh!  By noon, I’d had enough of their annoying behavior, and I left.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.