I got up around 7:00 am and headed out to the Effie Yeaw Nature Preserve for my weekly volunteer trail walking gig. The weather was lovely, about 49º at the river and mostly sunny. I really needed to get outside into my happy, green “therapy place” and start recovering from the trauma of yesterday.
Not a lot to see today, though, although I did get to see one of the big-big bucks, the 5-pointer. He was sitting down right on the side of the trail and didn’t move as I walked by and took photos of him… until I stepped back to get a shot of the doe behind him. I guess he didn’t like that and got onto his feet and stepped out a little bit, before going back to stand by the doe. They both eventually walked off, him following her across the trail and into the woods. Such a handsome thing.
I also got to see quite a few California Ground Squirrels, which I love, and got some video of a European Starling singing and gurgling overhead.
CLICK HERE for the full album of photos.
I walked for about 2½ hours and then headed home.
- Acorn Woodpecker, Melanerpes formicivorus
- Black Phoebe, Sayornis nigricans
- Bushtit, American Bushtit, Psaltriparus minimus
- California Ground Squirrel, Otospermophilus beecheyi
- California Scrub Jay, Aphelocoma californica
- California Wild Grape, Vitis californica
- Chinese Pistache Tree, Pistacia chinensis
- Columbian Black-Tailed Deer, Odocoileus hemionus columbianus
- Coyote, Canis latrans [scat]
- Eastern Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger
- European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris
- Golden Crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia atricapilla
- Green Shield Lichen, Flavoparmelia caperata
- Mourning Dove, Zenaida macroura
- Northern Flicker, Colaptes auratus
- Oak Titmouse, Baeolophus inornatus
- Pipevine, California Pipevine, Dutchman’s Pipe, Aristolochia californica
- Raccoon, Procyon lotor [tracks]
- Rio Grande Wild Turkey, Meleagris gallopavo intermedia
- Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Regulus calendula
- Spotted Towhee, Pipilo maculatus
- Sulphur Shelf Fungus, Western Sulphur Shelf Fungus, Laetiporus gilbertsonii
- Swainson’s Hawk, Buteo swainsoni
- Valley Oak, Quercus lobata