My friend Roxanne reminded me, in her recent Facebook posts, that there are possible nature experiences even your own backyard, so even though I’m still in recovery from my surgery, I did a little search before lunchtime this morning.
We’re seeing Mourning Doves, Eurasian Collared Doves, White-Crowned Sparrows, Scrub Jays, House Finches, Black Phoebes and House Sparrows at the birdfeeders in the front yard. Eastern Fox Squirrels and Gray Squirrels are also regular visitors there. [[And there are also a few neighborhood cats that come into the yard to drink water out of birdbath.]]
In the backyard today, I found some Cottony Cushion Scale insects, Icerya purchasi, on the lemon tree including a mama with her attached egg sac and some young ones in various instars. They were all being tended by some ants.
On the mandarin orange tree, I also found some interesting “flat” eggs on one of the leaves. I think they might have been from a kind of scale insect, too, but I’m not certain. I’ll post them to iNaturalist and see if anyone can tell me more about them.
Update, 11-04-21, Eggs Hatched
I checked on the insect eggs I’d found the other day. I thought they were from some kind of scale insect, but today, the eggs hatched… and now I think they might be gnat or midge babies. [Non-Biting Midge: Chironomus sp.]
Buy Me a Coffee!
Donate $5 to buy me a coffee so I have the fuel I need to keep exploring and bring more of nature to you. Thanks!
- Anna’s Hummingbird, Calypte anna
- Argentine Ant, Linepithema humile
- Black Phoebe, Sayornis nigricans
- California Scrub Jay, Aphelocoma californica
- Cat, Felis catus
- Cottony Cushion Scale, Icerya purchasi
- Eastern Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger
- Eastern Gray Squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis
- Eurasian Collared Dove, Streptopelia decaocto
- House Finch, Haemorhous mexicanus
- House Sparrow, Passer domesticus
- Mourning Dove, Zenaida macroura
- Oak Titmouse, Baeolophus inornatus
- Scale Insects, Superfamily: Coccoidea [eggs]
- White-Crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia leucophrys
You must be logged in to post a comment.