Around 8 o’clock I headed over to Effie Yeaw Nature Preserve for a walk. I hadn’t done any real walking since the day of my surgery, so I chose a place where the trails are all pretty flat and where I know where all f the benches are.
OMG, it was more difficult than I thought it would be. Because I haven’t been walking much at all, I learned very quickly, I had ZERO stamina. My pack felt too heavy, my camera felt too heavy, I could barely walk a few yards without feeling exhausted. I only managed to walk one loop.
Because I only did the one loop, and because I was too “aware” of my body’s limitations to really pay attention to everything around me, I didn’t see a whole lot: a few bird species, some Fox and Ground Squirrels, and a couple of deer. It was very disappointing… even though I know I have to work myself up to longer walks, and I managed to go for 90 minutes before I collapsed in the car.
CLICK HERE for the album of photos.
- Acorn Woodpecker, Melanerpes formicivorus
- California Ground Squirrel, Otospermophilus beecheyi
- California Quail, Callipepla californica [heard]
- California Scrub Jay, Aphelocoma californica
- Canada Goose, Branta canadensis [on golf course lawn]
- Columbian Black-Tailed Deer, Odocoileus hemionus columbianus
- Eastern Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger
- Golden-Crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia atricapilla
- Northern Flicker, Colaptes auratus
- Spotted Towhee, Pipilo maculatus
- Turkey Vulture, Cathartes aura [flyover]
- Western Bluebird, Sialia Mexicana
Buy Me a Coffee!
Donate $5 to buy me a coffee so I have the fuel I need to keep exploring and bring more of nature to you. Thanks!