This is a large water retention pond right across the street from the turn out to Farmer’s Central Road in the city of Woodland, CA. There is a wide gravel trail and three viewing platforms from which you can view and photograph wildlife.
• Easy to Locate? Yes
• Pet Friendly? Yes. Keep your dog on a leash at all times.
• Is there a Fee? No
• Are there Restrooms? No
• Is there Accessible Parking? Yes. There’s a small parking lot with ready access to the trail.
• Other Notes: This pond is best viewed in the winter and spring when there is more water in it. Keep in mind that it’s surrounded on three sides by areas that are NOT accessible to the public. Stay on the trail; do not trespass.
See my FLICKR account for more albums of photos taken at this location.
The pond is surrounded on three sides by private property and protected nature areas. Because these areas are screened off by fences, you cannot walk all the way around the pond.
Regular visitors to the pond include hawks, rabbits, North American River Otters, avocets, coots, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Pacific Pond Turtles, American White Pelicans, Black Necked Stilts, Greater Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpipers,a variety of songbirds and other water fowl.
How to Get There?
• Take Interstate 5 (I-5) North to the city of Woodland
• Take the 536 Exit onto Road 102
• Turn LEFT onto Road 102
• Continue on for about 5 minutes down Road 102 until you come to the traffic light at Farmer’s Central Road.
• At the light at Farmer’s Central Road, turn LEFT into the pond parking lot.