The Mississippi Bar Recreation Area is a part of the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area, and covers about 11,500 acres. It and provides access to the American River, part of Lake Natoma, several trails, open plains and oak woodlands.
In the past, the area was dredged for gravel, gold and silver, so the landscape is pretty scarred and wild in most places.
- Easy to Locate? Yes
- Pet Friendly? Yes. Dogs MUST be on a leash.
- Easy to Walk? Yes. The trails are relatively flat with little elevation gain.
- Is there a Fee? No.
- Are there Restrooms? No.
- Is there Accessible Parking? Yes.
- Other Notes: Give yourself time to peruse the different trails. Make sure to bring water with you in the summer months. Be careful not to trespass on the horse stable property.
How to Get to the Bar:
The easiest access is at the Snowberry Creek Assembly Area adjacent to the Shadow Glen Family Stables.
- Take Highway 50 East
- Take EXIT 21 for Hazel Avenue
- Turn LEFT onto Hazel Avenue
- Stay on Hazel to Sunset Avenue
- Turn RIGHT onto Sunset
- Turn LEFT onto Main Avenue
- Look for the sign for the Shadow Glen Family Stables and turn RIGHT into the parking area by the stables. You’ll see the sign for the Snowberry Creek Assembly Area
Here’s an overview of the whole bar area. The dark green lines in the light green area are the trails.