Between the months of March and July each year a variety of birds converge on this neighborhood to breed, nest and raise their young. Species include Black-Crowned Night Herons, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, and Cattle Egrets. You may also see Turkey Vultures resting and sunning themselves in the trees, and Cliff Swallows building their nests and feeding along the adjacent canal.
• Easy to Locate? Yes
• Pet Friendly? Not really.
• Easy to Walk? Yes.
• Is there a Fee? No
• Are there Restrooms? No
• Is there Accessible Parking? On the street outside of the apartment complexes.
• Other Notes: Access to the nesting sites inside the Waterford Cove Apartments grounds is by expressed permission only. Do Not Trespass.
See my FLICKR account for more albums of photos taken at this location.
The rookery here is tracked by volunteers of the Sacramento Heron and Egret Rescue group. They may also be able to provide you access to the apartment complex grounds if you join in on one of their volunteer days. CLICK HERE for more information.
How to Get to the Rookery
- Take South Watt Avenue south
- Turn RIGHT onto Florin Road
- Turn LEFT onto Greenhaven Drive
- Turn RIGHT onto Windbridge Drive
- At the traffic circle continue straight to stay on Windbridge Drive
- Pull up on the street in front of or across the street from the Waterford Cove Apartments, 7650 Windbridge Drive, Sacramento