This is a 32-acre park in the Natomas area of Sacramento County. It’s abutted on one side by residential housing and surrounded by commercial and industrial structures on the other sides. Included in the park is a large basketball court, a soccer field, a children’s playground and a skate park, so it’s geared more toward that kind of activity than wildlife viewing.
- Easy to Locate? Yes
- Pet Friendly? Yes. Dogs MUST be on a leash. There is also a fenced-in dog park here.
- Easy to Walk? Yes. Everything is pretty much flat here, and walkways are paved.
- Is there a Fee? No
- Are there Restrooms? Yes.
- Is there Accessible Parking? Yes.
- Other Notes: This is a very “manicured” park so the most wildlife viewing available here is in the form of birding.
See my FLICKR account for more albums of photos taken at this location .
There is a large pond (“lake”) on the property that is fed in part by street run off and overflows from the adjacent East Drainage Canal. The pond attracts some waterfowl species and songbirds, and gravel along the bike path accommodates Killdeer nesting. In 2019 and 2020 a male Vermilion Flycatcher was a major draw for birders in the region.
How to Get to the Park
From Interstate 5 (I-5) in Sacramento:
- Take 1-5 North to West El Camino Avenue (Exit 521B)
- Keep right at the fork and merge onto West El Camino Avenue
- Then use the left two lanes to turn LEFT onto Azevedo Drive
- At the traffic circle, take the third exit onto San Juan Road
- Airport Road will come up quickly on your right
- Turn RIGHT onto Airport Road
- Turn RIGHT onto Tanzanite Avenue
- The park will be on your right.
2220 Tanzanite Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95834
You must be logged in to post a comment.